How to Find the Best Food Safety Software for Your Business
Food safety is a systematic process that ensures quality control of food is not compromised. Choose the right software to automate and improve important safety processes within your business.
A Brief Overview of Food Safety Industry
HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) was the first formalized food safety system to be developed in the United States. Although created in the 1960s, it wasn’t until 1971 that it was presented at the first National Food Safety Conference. During the early 1990s, there was a lot of confidence in HACCP to overlook food safety and the organization grew to an international alliance in 1994 - it’s still the main food safety organization today.
The 7 food safety principles set by the HCAAP include-
- 1. Conduct a hazard analysis
- Identify the critical control points
- Establish critical limits
- Monitors CCP
- Establish corrective action
The Effects of Poor Food Safety Management
Food safety is a serious issue with over 600 million cases of foodborne illnesses annually. Businesses that don’t work actively to maintain adequate food health standards will not only be forced to confront legal battles but more importantly, they will find themselves guilty of endangering people’s lives.
Food poisoning can cause a range of symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, abdomen pain, fever, and headaches. It’s a sure way to keep victims who have previously fallen ill, along with their social circle, from stepping foot in your establishment again.
Neglect food safety and your restaurant face short-term or permanent be shut down. In the end, food safety concerns can cause irreparable damage, so it is imperative to take action towards maintaining the highest standards for your establishment.
How Food Safety Software Can Grow Your Business
Growing your food business in the modern competitive marketplace can be tricky, especially without the right tools. Here are the reasons why investing in specialized food safety software is a must-
Stay Up to Date
Food safety software can help your business stay up to date with the right practices. Software updates can inform you of changes in the industry, along with highlighting what you may be doing improperly. Health safety issues are one of the largest factors that can set a company back years, stifling growth. Avoiding food safety mistakes ensure that your brand is not compromised.
Software can help automate mundane tasks, such as training staff about correct safety standards, tracking and checking reports, and ensuring HACCP compliance. Automation, in particular, is important for businesses that are looking to aggressively expand.
Train New Employees
If your workforce turnaround is high, it may mean that you need to improve your training methods and procedures. Software will help train employees, which saves you time and resources. Instead of running weekly food safety training, new employees can simply access a virtual class and complete all necessary courses without supervision.
How to Choose the Right Food Safety Software
Not all businesses operate in the same capacity, which is why you need to choose the right software for your brand. Here are some points to consider-
- Trust- Conduct background research on the software company. How long have they been around? Can they be trusted? Read the reviews from current users to get an idea of what to expect. The most relevant reviews are those where the food business is similar to yours.
- User-interface- Check to see if the software has a free trial, so you can test it before signing on to a long-term contract. The user interface must be intuitive and easy to use.
- Support- Inevitably issues will arise when implementing new software. This can become a problem if the customer service department is unresponsive. Helpful customer service reps that are eager to answer all questions are what you should ideally encounter.
- Features- Analyze all of the software features that are provided and determine how it will assist in strengthening the business. For example, if you need safety training for new employees then look for software with this feature. Some brands offer a list of bells and whistles that need not apply to your business model and what you are trying to achieve. If this is the case, then those companies would not be worth investing in.
Food safety is taken very seriously with strict guidelines set by the FDA. Not following these regulations can put consumers in danger and force businesses to close for good. Therefore, investing in software to ensure food safety compliance is a smart idea. Why leave things to chance when software is available to tackle the problem?
Make sure to take time in choosing the best food safety software, appropriate to your business, as the software should be designed to assist in the bulk of the legwork, so you don’t have to.