Why Food Processing Equipment Matters
The Types of Food Processing Equipment
Food processing is a function where raw food ingredients are transformed into edible food products. Each of the food processing machines is created with a specific purpose but the basic objective remains the same. For example, food processing for fast food has exclusive processing equipment that makes the types of food that are sold at the food chains.
Food processing equipment is meant to streamline food processing and make it less labor intensive. The equipment food needs can be customized for home owners or large-scale businesses in the food industry.
Food processing goes through several stages with each stage detailing a specific food handling function. The preparation stage of food processing is the start of things where food is prepared for the next step in processing. This can include washing fruits and vegetables or separating individual ingredients.
The rest of the process follows depending on which material handling for the food item is needed. In a commercial setting, there can often be several pieces of food processing equipment running at the same time.
Scales weigh out the product; stainless steel cutters and peelers remove skin from vegetables; pasta machines will knead dough and packaging equipment wraps everything up. There are many different pieces of food processing equipment to suit each need.
The processing industry has stock types of food processing equipment that provide these common functions within the food industry-
- Cleaning- During the prep phase of food processing the food manufacturers will clean the food products. The cleaning process is divided by dry or wet raw food and it removes foreign matter or contaminants.
- Grading- By assessing the characteristics of the food the grading system can sort the matter by which will be used food and which won't.
- Peeling and Skinning- Enhancing the appearance and texture of the food product is done through peeling or skinning. Anything that's not edible is removed through food processing equipment most often using stainless steel blades.
- Sorting- In combination with the grading process, the food is sorted by physical characteristics. Any contaminants or foreign matter is removed from the raw food.
MECHANICAL PROCESSING EQUIPMENT
- Size Reduction- Mechanical processing is used to reduce the size of a piece of solid food matter. It involves impact or compression force or shearing through a mechanical process.
- Size Enlargement- Conversely, to enlarge a food item processes like extrusion, forming or agglomeration through mechanical means can enlarge particle sizes of solid food.
- Homogenization and Emulsification- Concerning the consistency of liquid or semi-solid foods, the homogenization and emulsification processes are used to reduce the consistency of the particle sizes.
- Mixing or Blending- This food processing method is common in homes and commercial kitchens. It's used to mix or combine two food matters into each other to become one source.
Benefits of Custom Food Processing Equipment
The way the food industry has used food processing in the past has created an entire market for custom equipment. Industrial-grade food processing equipment is available in mass quantities for stock machines on the market. Choosing the right piece of processing equipment for a particular area of the food industry can be somewhat difficult with so many choices.
Custom manufacturing of food processing equipment will provide the exact features needed for the job that has to be done. Here are some specific benefits for choosing to have food processing equipment custom manufactured-
- Easy Integration
- Comply with Standards
Custom food processing equipment can be built to comply with all safety standards and regulations. It will also be reliable and efficient cutting down costs of replacement. Whether the need is for pet food or recycling used food, there is a custom piece of processing equipment that can be created for it.
Conclusion to Food Processing Equipment
- The range of processing equipment available is categorized by function, mode of operation, and application.
- Food processing equipment used in preparation involves cleaning, grading, peeling and sorting.
- Custom manufacturing of food processing equipment is created to match a specific business in the food industry and to increase efficiency and output.
- For years, those in the food industry have used food processing to turn raw ingredients into an edible food product with efficiency from start to finish.